istinguished late 18th century Grade II listed house in the historic village of Clifton in Cumbria's Eden Valley on the northern edge of the Lake District National Park with easy access to the Northern Lakes and fells and the Northern Pennines. Lowther Castle, Ullswater and its lake steamers are all approximately 10 minutes drive away and there are excellent pubs with good restaurants in Clifton and the surrounding villages. We are only five minutes away from J40 on the M6 and from Penrith mainline railway station.
The village of Clifton is a farming village just south of Penrith. The last battle on English soil was fought in Clifton in 1745 when the Duke of Cumberland defeated the remnants of Bonnie Prince Charlie’s army – the fallen soldiers were buried in the village churchyard and the fallen Jacobites behind the village pub, and there is a memorial to the battle in the village.
The house was owned in the early 19th Century by the Workman brothers who later emigrated to the USA – one to own Alcatraz Island and the other to employ Kit Carson.
he Pele Tower at the North end of the village is a remnant of the old Clifton Hall, and a reminder of the days of Scots raids from over the Border thirty miles away.
Immediately next door we also have available as a holiday let Harrison House, a converted barn with 3 double bedrooms, a well appointed bathroom, a very spacious sitting room, fully fitted dining/kitchen and downstairs toilet – all very comfortably and stylishly furnished – with covered parking for 2 cars and its own private terrace and walled garden with wonderful fell views and shared access with the B&B to the sauna and treadmill. We are happy to take children of any age there (we provide high chair and cot) and upto 2 dogs (we provide baskets and bowls) but would ask that dogs be confined to the ground floor.